Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my meal times?

When you need to change your meal times you should call the office. Your sponsor needs to approve all meal times. They also need to know when you are serving meals so your monitor can arrive at your home to do a monitor review during a meal service.

When should I send in new child enrollment forms?

New child enrollment forms should be sent in as soon as children are enrolled and you have the parents sign the child enrollment form. Remember the parent needs to sign and date this form. Child enrollment forms must be in the office by the 5th day of the month, or the children may be disallowed on your claim. If you use the scannable form you can wait and send the child enrollment form with your claim.

How often can I serve crackers?

Children need a variety of nutritious components. Even though there are a variety of crackers available, you should not serve crackers more than 3 times per week as a best practice. Try a little creativity in what you serve for snacks. There are plenty of ideas included on the menus. We always recommend serving whole-grain crackers whenever possible.

What is a CN label?

A CN label indicates that the product has been approved to be served in your child care home. These products are commonly bulk-packed and are available from food service agencies. Occasionally, CN label products are available at whole sale club stores such as Costco and Sam’s club. A complete list of CN labeled items can be found on our website under the heading: Product Specs. Also checkout an example of a CN label.

When can I expect my reimbursement check?

The first thing you need to do, is make sure you have signed up for your reimbursement check to be direct deposited. The process of you receiving your reimbursement is:

  1. You submit your claim to our office the 1st of the month
  2. The office processes your claim between the 5th and 10th of the month
  3. The office submits the claim to the Utah State Office of Education by the 15th of the month.
  4. The office submits the paperwork to the Business Office in our building to process the check reimbursements on the 15th or 16th of the month
  5. The Business Office enters and submits the checks to be processed by the USU Controllers office
  6. The USU controllers then has up to 3 days to pay these checks
  7. You should receive your direct deposit by the 25th of the month.
  8. If you have not received your reimbursement by the 25th, then you should call the office
  9. Our office receives the money from the USOE the end of the month.
  10. Claims are due by the 5th of every month.

When will I receive my reimbursement check if my claim is submitted after the deadline?

You can submit a claim for reimbursement up to 60 days. When a claim is submitted after the deadline (the 5th of the month) you will not receive your direct deposit until after the beginning of the following month. In other words if you submit your claim for June after July 6 and before August 12, you will not receive your reimbursement until after September 1.

How often should I enter my claim in the computer or fill in the scannable form?

You should enter your claim or fill in the scannable form on a daily basis. If you are serving 12 or more children at the meal, then you need to do it a ‘point of service’.

What if I can’t get to my computer every day? Or my internet or computer isn’t working?

If for some reason you are unable to enter your claim on-line on a daily basis you can keep the meal and child(ren) claimed information on your sign in/out forms.

The most important thing to remember is whether you claim on-line or you use the scannable forms you must keep daily records including attendance and the foods or the menu number you served. If you use your sign in/out forms remember they must include the meals served each day and you need to have your menus available for each day. In other words, you need to have back up documentation for all meals served, what you served and who you served the meals to each day.

Can I claim my own children for a meal when my day care children are not in attendance?

No, you can only claim your own children when there are day care children in attendance at the meal. Remember: you can only claim your own children if you have been approved by your household income or by government assistance such as food stamps for that year. If you have questions about this, call the office.

What can I do to be prepared for monitor visits?

Monitor visits can be a little overwhelming and be a hassle, but only if you aren’t prepared for them. It may feel like you are being “policed”, but it is the monitors’ responsibility to verify that you are staying within the guidelines that the federal government has set for the nutrition program. Believe it or not, monitor visits can be very quick, efficient, and smooth. The key to achieving this, is keeping your records organized and knowing what the monitor is going to ask for. You can look at the monitor review form under the forms section of this web site. Remember: Child care Providers must maintain daily records and all records must be available when your monitor comes to your home. You must have on hand all records that support your program activities for the month and the previous twelve months of operation. Records should include documentation of attendance, reenrollment, meal counts menus, and sign in/out forms for the previous three months.

What happens if I don’t have my paper work up to date when my monitor comes to visit?

Unfortunately, if you haven’t kept your paper work up to date or entered your claim on-line, your monitor will disallow those days that are not complete.

How long do I need to keep my nutrition program records?

Records for the previous twelve months should be kept on site and available for a monitor to see, if requested. 3 years plus the current year is required for all food program records. 

When I serve cereal for breakfast does the milk on the cereal count?

The most important thing to remember is that the children getting the serving of milk they need for growth and development. You can count the milk on the cereal, but you need to measure it and provide more if needed. The following are the minimum milk required amounts that should be offered at breakfast.

Age: 1-2: ½ cup

3-5: ¾ cup

6-12: 1 cup

Can I be reimbursed for meals/snacks served on a picnic/field trip?

Yes! Meals served to children on provider supervised field trips/picnics may be reimbursed.  You must call the office before you for “pre-approval”.  You and the office must document the following:

  • Date of the field trip/picnic
  • Field trip/picnic destination
  • Time
  • Meal served: (Breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack dinner, eve snack)
  • Meal components
  • How you will keep the cold foods cold or the hot foods hot
  • How you will ensure proper hand washing

If a cold lunch is packed and sent with children for lunch at school, may I claim it for reimbursement?

No. Meals must be served at the approved site (provider home) as part of the day care program.  “Pre-approved” field trips/picnics are the only exception.  Meals given to children to take to school or home are not reimbursable.

Can we ever serve ice cream, chips, etc?

Non-creditable foods may be served as extra or “other” foods only after the required foods are served.  Do not serve as a “reward” for eating other foods.

What about birthday treats brought by parents?

Meals claimed for reimbursement must meet meal pattern requirements and the provider must supply at least one component to claim the meal.  “Other” foods may be served, but not in place of required components.  Birthday treats that do not meet any part of the required meal pattern should be served after the meal to help eliminate plate waste and provide examples of good eating habits that are desirable for children to develop.

Can I serve water as the beverage at snack time?

Yes, water can be offered as a beverage if the snack contains the required two food groups.  Throughout the day, including at meal times, water should be made available to children to drink upon their request.  Water is just not a reimbursable component.

How often can I serve dessert items such as “breakfast bars”, cookies, etc?

Dessert items such as cookies, pop tarts, brownies, cereal bars, and pies cannot be served on the food program. Dessert items and high sugar items can no longer be served on the food program. 

Must a young infant eat at only specified meal times?

The meal pattern for infants states breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack, but that is only a guideline. Young babies may need to eat every 2 to 4 hours.  Older babies may also need to eat more frequently than the specified times. When babies are hungry, feed them and record the meal that is close to your times on the FDCH Application.

When should I send in child enrollment forms?

New child enrollment forms should be submitted to the office as soon as possible so they can be entered/approved by staff. Forms should be in the office no later than the 2nd working day of the month or the children may be disallowed on your claim. Enrollment forms with changes should be submitted immediately. Remember these forms must be signed by a parent.

If I take time off and leave children in care with a substitute, may I still claim meals for reimbursement?

Yes, if the following guidelines are met:

  • Care and meals are provided in your home.
  • Providers with a License or Residential Certificate must have the substitute “cleared” through the Utah Department of Health Child Care Licensing.

Relative Care and Alternate Care Providers substitutes must have BCI clearance and listed with the Child Care Nutrition Program

  • Substitutes must be trained on Food Program rules and regulations.
  • A provider is responsible for substitutes and if there's non-compliance found.

If I take time off and leave the children in care at someone else’s home, may I claim reimbursement if I provide the food?

No. All meals claimed for reimbursement must be prepared and served in your home, unless it is a “pre-approved” field trip/picnic.

If I take my children to the summer food lunch program at my local school, may I claim that meal for reimbursement? 

No. Again all meals claimed for reimbursement must be prepared and served in your home, unless it is a pre-approved” field trip/picnic. You must be the one to purchase and prepare the food. 

Can meals leave with the child if the parent arrives during my approved meals or snacks?

No. Meals must be consumed on site in the providers home where daycare has been approved. We recommend that you talk about this with parents and explain to them when meals and snacks are served to avoid these occurences in the future.